Monday, November 3, 2008

do a new thing

"So you failed. Alright, you really failed... You wanna be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling."
-Claire, Elizabethtown

Is there anything that you're scared to do? There's something I'm scared to do, scared to try. I'm scared, because I think that I'll try and fail. fail. FAIL.

I'm starting to realize how stupid that is. how horribly, mind-blowingly stupid that is. because, really, what's so terrible about failing? Sure, it sucks that you didn't succeed. sure. but at least you got to do it. You took the chance and tried. You got to do it.

That's enough of a reason to smile and keep smiling. And, yes, people will wonder --while they're laughing, yelling, mocking-- why you're still smiling. "YOU FAILED," they'll say. "WIPE THAT SMIRK OFF YOUR FACE," they'll say. "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE," they'll say. And you'll be privileged enough to be able to reply, "Who am I? I'm the person who got to try this new, delightful, difficult thing. And sure I failed, but I got --and took-- the opportunity to try it out. That's something I can be proud of."

And you will be proud. Because, sure, you failed, but you and your failure are immeasurably better off than those who are too afraid to try in the first place. Unlike them, you got to do that delightful thing, whatever it may be, if just that one time.

1 comment:

Bill said...

My friend Andrew always related this quote attributed to Goethe to me when I was feeling uncertain:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

Best of luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...